Neo--The-RED-DEVIL

Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Diplomatic Me.....

From the quiet town of Jamshedpur in India, to here…. 2887 kms away in Singapore, my choices in education reflect an aspect of my personality that has repeatedly dictated my actions. To me, life has been about looking beyond my immediate surroundings and excelling in the path less traveled.

My school experiences have been in concurrence with this axiom. During my 13 years at Loyola School, Jamshedpur, I have had several divergent yet simultaneously enriching pursuits that have holistically provided me with learning that a narrower approach could never rival. Academically, I was the recipient of the Outstanding and Academic Excellence awards for seven years in a row and was thus awarded the prestigious Mr. Junior Loyola Award for being the most outstanding student in the middle school. Thereafter, I continued to remain in the top notch of my class for the remainder of my schooling. I topped the entire science batch in my school during the national level 10th standard (ICSE) and 12th standard (ISC) examinations with percentages of 94 and 93 respectively, securing a city rank of 3 in the later. I got awards for the highest in English in ICSE and Chemistry in the ISC exams.

However, academics have always been only one facet of my school life. Public speaking through elocutions, debates and extempore competitions have been another one of my passions. A recipient of the third prize at “Odyssey”, an international elocution competition held at Lucknow, India; I have also twice succeeded in wining the silver medal at the Inter-Jesuit Elocution Contest, a national level competition. At school, I won the Annual English Elocution/Extempore competition five times, which is supposedly a good achievement. I have also received an honorable mention from the British Council during their debate competition on “water harvesting”.

The Computer Club of my school has been one of the dearest organizations to me during my stay at Loyola. My membership which spanned six years culminated in me becoming President of the club during the year 2004-05. It was during this year that my team expanded our school’s IT festival, ABACUS to a district wide level competition. I also secured an All India Rank of 33 in the National Cyber Olympiad,2004.

Quizzing has also been an interest of mine. My team won the first prize at the TATA STEEL Metallurgy quiz. My interest in quizzing is also reflected through my participation in the international science and astronomy quizzes held at CMS, Lucknow in their science festival - QUANTA.

At school, I was elected to the Loyola Honour Society for my sincere efforts in the running of the debating, astronomy and computer clubs. I was the Vice-President of the Astronomy Club and the Honorary General Secretary of the Debating Club.

Now I have completed one complete year at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore as an Electrical and Electronic Engineering student. I am also involved in a lot of extra curricular activities at NTU out of which AIESEC is the club I am mostly involved with. I am also deeply involved in the working of the Computer Society, Astronomical Society, IEEE and the EEE Club. Before coming to NTU I had a lot of doubts as to whether I was making the right choice or not. After a lot of thought I chose to apply to NTU to benefit from the unique opportunities offered by this international institution and trust me I have gained immensely from the experiences from the single year of stay here. For an all round experience(which I believe is absolutely necessary in today's age) NTU is the place to be.

1 Comments:

Blogger Avijeet Sen said...

Not a pencil box but a small box of crayons.....my only sports prize at skool.....relay race....

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home